Data updated on
About Fort Oranje
The Dutch built it in 1639 to watch the harbour, first in wood and later in stone.
It is small — four cannon, a low wall, a courtyard — and it never saw a battle, which is roughly the story of Bonaire's military history. The lighthouse beside it was added in 1932 and still guides ships into the harbour. The buildings house government offices, so the interior is not a museum and not open to wander through.
Come at the end of the afternoon, when the light is on the water and the cruise passengers have gone. On a cruise day the square in front of it is the busiest place on the island. There is nothing to pay and nothing to buy. Fifteen minutes is enough on its own; it makes more sense as part of a walk along the boulevard, past Wilhelminaplein and the market.